“A delicious and boozy dessert, best shared between two!”
4 oz Cream Cheese, like Philadelphia
4 oz Mascarpone Cream
4 fl. oz (284 mls) Double Cream
2 eggs, separated to whites and yolks
1 sheet of gelatine, pre-soaked in cold water
1 large pack Savoiardi Biscuits (aka Ladyfinger biscuits), or sponge fingers
about 6 to 8 fl. oz. fresh strong filter coffee
4 oz Caster Sugar
Vanilla pod, scrape interior out with knife
2 teaspoons of Vanilla Essence
3 oz dark Bournville Cocoa
grated Plain Dark Chocolate to dust
3 tablespoons of Brandy – good quality
3 tablespoons of Tia Maria
- This dessert can be made as one large dessert or as separate individual desserts, which is my preference, as it looks better when presented to each guest in a separate glass.
- Beat the cream cheese, mascarpone, vanilla pod contents and 1 teaspoon of essence in a bowl until smooth.
- In small dish dissolve gelatine sheet in tablespoon of hot water.
- Whisk the egg yolks with 2 oz of caster sugar until creamy for a few minutes. Then add to cheese mixture, along with gelatine.
- Mix the mixture gently and add the double cream slowly.
- Take each biscuit and soak for a few seconds in the coffee (infused with Brandy and Tia Maria, of course!), then form one layer in your container(s), then dust with cocoa powder with sieve.
- Spoon or pour a layer of cheese mixture on this, and repeat the step until the layers reach the top of the dish.
- Dust with grated chocolate and chill until serving.
“This is a definite Valentine’s special dessert!”