Grilled Goat’s Cheese with Salad of Rocket, Avocado and Figs
“This starter is guaranteed to be a hit at any dinner party and if you did not like goat’s cheese before, then you will adore it after tasting this exquisite mix of ingredients!”
Ingredients per Guest:
A single 4 oz Goat’s Cheese
2 Sliced of good quality Bread
2 oz of Wild Rocket (washed and dried)
2 Ripe Figs (each cut into 8 slices)
Half a large Ripe Avocado (peeled and sliced)
2 fl oz of Virgin Olive Oil
Salt and Black Pepper to taste
Fresh Lemon Juice to coat Avocado
1 tablespoon of Runny Honey
Dash of Caster Sugar
1 teaspoon of Wholegrain French Dijon Mustard
Red Wine Vinegar to taste (good quality)
- Cut the goat’s cheese into two slices with each having rind on outside, as goat’s cheese can come in oblong or circular shapes. The aim is to have deep slices with an outer rind.
- Place a slice of the cheese on a slice of the bread and using a sharp knife cut out around the edge of the cheese, leaving a small border of about 4mm.
- Keep these chilled in the fridge for grilling when ready to serve.
- Place the avocado slices in a dish and coat with the lemon juice to avoid discolouration.
- Scatter the washed rocket on a plate, then add the avocado and figs arranging decoratively.
- Mix together the olive oil, mustard, caster sugar, honey and vinegar. The vinegar is to your taste to give a sweet taste with a sour kick. Season the dressing with freshly ground salt, but finely ground black pepper works better in this dressing.
- Remove the cheese and bread from the fridge, and grill until golden the lower side of the slices of bread.
- Place the goat’s cheese slices on top of each slice of bread, one per slice of bread and grill until golden or centre can be seen to be runny.
- Remove cheeses from grill immediately, place on salad and drizzle with dressing before serving immediately.
“A mouth-watering, unique and unusual salad recipe!”