Banana Chocolate and Cinnamon Bread
Banana, Chocolate and Cinnamon Bread
“Delicious and great comfort food!”
80 mls of Milk, warm
1 Large Egg, whisked
12 oz. of Strong Bread Flour
2 oz Caster Sugar
1 level teaspoon Sea Salt
1 oz Butter
1 oz Lard
1 Large Banana, mashed
1 teaspoon Extra Fast Yeast
1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
2 oz Dark Chocolate drops
Ground Cinnamon to your Taste
2 tablespoons Oil
- Place the flour and salt in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the butter and lard, then rub into the flour with the fingertips.
- Mix in the sugar, stirring well until mixed thoroughly.
- Make a large well in the centre of the mixture.
- Add the banana, egg, warm milk, oil, vanilla extract and yeast.
- Mix thoroughly until the mixture is one solid ball.
- Knead thoroughly for about 30 minutes.
- Allow the dough to rest in a warm place, covered with a damp tea towel.
- Leave to rise for about 60 minutes, or until double in size.
- Knead the mixture again, and divide into 6 pieces with 3 larger than the remaining 3 pieces.
- Using a rolling pin, roll and stretch each piece into a narrow rectangle of roughly1.5 inches wide
- Sprinkle the chocolate drops and cinnamon along the length of the dough.
- Moisten the sides and join lengthwise to make a tube with the chocolate and cinnamon inside.
- Plait the 3 shorter lengths together, and then repeat for the 3 longer lengths.
- Place the shorter plait underneath and moisten the top with water.
- Position the longer plait on top of the shorter plait, and secure in creases using the edge of a knife.
- Wrap the ends underneath neatly.
- Baste the top of the loaf with water and rest for 15 minutes.
- Bake in an oven at 150 degrees for about 25 minutes or until golden, and hollow sounding when you tap bottom of the loaf.
- Enjoy this loaf sliced with honey and milk, or even hot chocolate!
“This bread is heavenly!!”